ALERT! This episode was flagged by Conde Naste for using copyrighted material. We take intellectual property seriously, and have put the offending member of the team on the naughty step where he can think about what he has done. We are terribly sorry that we nearly brought the publishing mega-giant to its knees completely by accident.
Show 46 (3 July 2013)
This week on the Virtual Skeptics
- Bob puts the Netherlands over his knee;
- Eve can’t believe the Argument from Authority let her down;
- Sharon is waiting for a story to drop into her lap;
- and Tim has some tips for staying connected at TAM next week.
I’m joined this week by:
- Bob Blaskiewicz – CSI’s Conspiracy Guy web columnist, blogger for Skeptical Humanities and Swift Blog contributor
- Eve Siebert – Editor and blogger at Skeptical Humanities and contributor to Skepticality
- Sharon Hill – Editor of Doubtful News and author of the CSI’s Sounds Sciencey web column
- Tim Farley – JREF Fellow, founder of Skeptools, Skepticality contributor and creator of What’s the Harm.
Anyone watching live can ask us questions on YouTube or by using the #virtualskeptics hashtag on Twitter.
- How the Netherlands are currently sucking. http://www.ibtimes.com/dutch-bible-belt-measles-outbreak-reaches-161-cases-unvaccinated-children-1331617
- Here they are sucking at preventing polio and mumps and diphtheria for years at a time: http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=65d245df-6bf6-4ac8-8978-89382fc4f040
- Here’s a peer-reviewed journal article about how much suck there is in the Netherlands: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11485681
- Luke Dittrich, Esquire, “The Prophet.” (Costs $1.99 to access): http://www.esquire.com/features/the-prophet
A series of TAM2013 tips can be found here: http://storify.com/krelnik/tam2013-tips
- Tim’s digital guide for last year is here: http://skeptools.wordpress.com/2012/06/30/tam2012-guide-wireless-internet-wifi-4g-amazing-meeting-tam/
- Rental hotspots from XcomGlobal: http://www.xcomglobal.com/
- New concept – pay as you go and share with Karma: https://yourkarma.com/
- Several battery packs at Amazon.com: Mophie Juice Pack: http://amzn.to/12mPJMZ
- Mophie Dual Charger (Tim has this one): http://amzn.to/13mppZX
- Trent iCarrier: http://amzn.to/14rCk9M
Brian’s Robot links:
Betty Bot and the “Human Exclusion Zone”
DARPA’s Virtual Robotics Challenge
Robo-Roach driven by Kinex
Both Bob and Tim have segments in this week’s Skepticality episode #211 http://www.skepticality.com/the-limits-of-neuroscience/
The Amazing Meeting 2013 is next week, be sure to introduce yourself and say hello if you see any of us there. We promise we don’t bite. Extensive info on the show at http://lanyrd.com/2013/tam
The Virtual Skeptics is an independent production of Doubtful News, WhatsTheHarm.net, Skeptical Humanities, and Brian Gregory. Our logo was designed by Sara Mayhew at SaraMayhew.com. Our theme music is by Tremor and is used with permission.