This is the Virtual Skeptics; A hour of discussion of the latest interesting skeptical news bits. “It’s like Meet the Press, but with chupacabras”
This week on Virtual Skeptics
- Bob encourages you to lie back, take 3 cleansing breaths, and enjoy some sodium pentathol;
- Eve asks, “Can I get a witness?”
- Sharon petitions the President
- and Tim takes a skeptic sabbatical – he’ll explain why.
This Week’s Panel:
Eve Siebert — Editor and blogger at Skeptical Humanities
Bob Blaskiewicz — Committee for Skeptical Inquiry’s Conspiracy Guy web columnist, JREF Swift Blog contributor, and blogger for Skeptical Humanities
Sharon Hill — Editor of Doubtful News and author of the Committee for Skeptical Inquiry’s Sounds Sciencey web column
Tim Farley — JREF Fellow, creator of whatstheharm.net and skeptools.com
Brian Gregory – Host and producer.
Coverage of the Castlewood Therapy Center
- Therapist ‘Brainwashed’ Woman Into Believing She Was In Satanic Cult, Attorney Says http://abcnews.go.com/US/therapist-accused-implanting-satanic-memories/story?id=15043529#.UKRPVeOe-UM
- Hypnosis for Eating Disorder Led to False Memories About Satanic Cult Abuse, Suit Says http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2011/11/eating_disorder_clinic_hypnosis.php
- St. Louis County treatment center chief expanding to California despite lawsuits http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/health-med-fit/fitness/st-louis-county-treatment-center-chief-expanding-to-california-despite/article_22d24647-c6d4-51ab-b601-f05ffb12920a.html
- Yankee Skeptic: It’s a bird; it’s a plane; it’s fooling a veteran Air Force pilot: http://yankeeskeptic.com/2012/11/11/its-a-bird-its-a-plane-its-fooling-a-veteran-air-force-pilot/
- JREF forum thread on the Yankee Skeptic post: http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=247626
- 90,000 Texans want to secede, trolls immediately mess with Texas http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/11/90000-texans-want-to-secede-trolls-immediately-mess-with-texas/
- Texas v White http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_v_White
- White House ‘secede’ petitions reach 675,000 signatures, 50-state participation http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/14/white-house-secede-petitions-reach-660000-signatures-50-state-participation/
- I call your secession and raise you a deportation. http://doubtfulnews.com/2012/11/i-call-your-secession-and-raise-you-a-deportation/
- Quack iPhone apps http://doubtfulnews.com/2012/11/phone-app-marketers-take-advantage-of-desire-for-easy-health-fix/
- Larian LaQuella is a moderator on Skeptics Stack Exchange – go help him answer questions! http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/users/386/larian-lequella
- Here’s the red-blue-purple visualization Tim mentioned http://gizmodo.com/5960290/this-is-the-real-political-map-of-america-hint-we-are-not-that-divided?tag=visualization
Brian’s Robot links:
- Robobees – Harvard University http://robobees.seas.harvard.edu/
- Green Brain Project http://gow.epsrc.ac.uk/NGBOViewGrant.aspx?GrantRef=EP/J019534/1
- Sharon has been named a Scientific and Technical Consultant for the Committee of Skeptical Inquiry. She has no idea what that involve but has said YES! Huzzah!
The Virtual Skeptics is an independent production of Doubtful News, WhatsTheHarm.net, Skeptical Humanities, and Brian Gregory. Our logo was designed by Sara Mayhew at SaraMayhew.com. Our theme music is by Tremor and is used with permission.