This week on the “Virtual Skeptics”…
– Bob gives everyone imaginary employment;
– Eve believes heaven is real because a neurosurgeon said so;
– Sharon examines earth vomit that hitched a ride to Wisconsin;
– Tim tells some lawyer jokes as skeptic bloggers get legal threats in 4 different countries!
- Brian Gregory – Host and creator of Virtual Drinking Skeptically
- Eve Siebert – Editor and blogger at Skeptical Humanities
- Bob Blaskiewicz – Committee for Skeptical Inquiry’s Conspiracy Guy web columnist, JREF Swift Blog contributor, and blogger for Skeptical Humanities
- Sharon Hill – Editor of Doubtful News and author of the Committee for Skeptical Inquiry’s Sounds Sciencey web column
- Tim Farley – JREF Research Fellow, creator of What’s The Harm and and blogger at Skeptical Software Tools.
- Sharon and Tim will be at CSIcon in Nashville next Thursday. Sharon is giving a talk on the media and weird news.
- Bob and Eve will be going to the Paradigm Symposium in Minneapolis and will be live-tweeting under the hashtag #paradigm.
- The conspiracy theory: http://www.worldviewweekend.com/worldview-times/article.php?articleid=8841
- Unemployment numbers: http://ycharts.com/indicators/unemployment_rate
- Excellent story by NPR’s Planet Money about guarding the jobs number: http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2012/08/03/158090937/episode-392-keeping-the-biggest-secret-in-the-u-s-economy
- NPR reports on the jobs numbers: http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2012/10/05/162361522/why-do-the-jobs-numbers-change
- Dr. Eben Alexander’s cover story in Newsweek: http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/10/07/proof-of-heaven-a-doctor-s-experience-with-the-afterlife.html
- Response from Paul Raeburn, former science editor and chief science correspondent for AP in Knight Science Journalism tracker:
- Max Read response in Gawker, with quiz, “Newsweek cover story or message board post about drugs?” http://gawker.com/5949892/newsweek-cover-story-or-internet-posting-about-dugs-a-quiz
- Response from Sam Harris, with comments on the scientific aspects of “shut down cortex” claims: http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/this-must-be-heaven
- Eben Alexander linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/eben-alexander-iii-md/a/345/202
- Alexander’s website lifebeyonddeath.net
- Eternea eternea.org
- Eye gasped when I saw this thing! (Updated: Swordfish): <a href=”http://doubtfulnews.com/2012/10/eye-gasped-when-i-saw-this-thing/”>http://doubtfulnews.com/2012/10/eye-gasped-when-i-saw-this-thing/</a>
- Wisconsin diamond likely had quite a ride to get there: http://doubtfulnews.com/2012/10/wisconsin-diamond-likely-had-quite-a-ride-to-get-there/
- Crater of Diamonds State Park: www.craterofdiamondsstatepark.com
- Simon Singh seemingly threatened with libel by magazine publisher Lynne McTaggart: http://josephinejones.wordpress.com/2012/10/04/quack-rag-distributor-threatens-to-sue-singh-relevant-links-and-what-you-can-do/
- Simon Singh threatened with libel over a TWEET: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/oct/03/health-magazine-sue-simon-singh-twitter
- South African blogger sued by Solal Tech: http://www.quackdown.info/article/quack-company-litigates-against-its-critics/
- Romanian blogger sued by Zenyth Pharmaceuticals: http://insulaindoielii.wordpress.com/2012/10/11/colon-help-sues-wordpress/
Brian’s robot’s links:
- Iuro Robot Finds Its Way Through Cities, With Your Help http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robotics/humanoids/iuro-robot-finds-its-way-through-cities-with-your-help
- IURO Project http://www.iuro-project.eu/
- Facebook PAGE!? http://www.facebook.com/pages/IURO-Interactive-Urban-Robot/275770065790301
The Virtual Skeptics is an independent production of Doubtful News, WhatsTheHarm.net, Skeptical Humanities, and Brian Gregory. Our logo was designed by Sara Mayhew at SaraMayhew.com. Our theme music is by Tremor and is used with permission.