This week on Virtual Skeptics
- Bob farts rainbows;
- Eve thanks you for your patience–please stay on the line;
- Sharon ventures down by the old mill stream
- and Tim talks about skeptic events for 2013.
This Week’s Panel
- Bob Blaskiewicz – CSI’s Conspiracy Guy web columnist, blogger for Skeptical Humanities and Swift Blog contributor
- Eve Siebert – Editor and blogger at Skeptical Humanities
- Sharon Hill – Editor of Doubtful News and author of the CSI’s Sounds Sciencey web column
- Tim Farley – JREF fellow and creator of What’s the Harm.net and the Skeptical Software Tools blog
- Florida Senator Marco Rubio has figured out how old the earth is.
- Doubtful News has merch!
- Snowstorm: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203686204577114193593219330.html
- According to the original press release: http://www.kcna.co.jp/item/2012/201211/news29/20121129-20ee.html
- LiveScience discusses this issue: http://www.livescience.com/25208-real-story-north-korea-unicorn.html
- Kim Jong Il’s Official Biography: http://www.korea-dpr.com/lib/103.pdf
- This week’s memorial video to Kim Jung Il’s…parka. I am not kidding: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/12/04/166493076/remembering-kim-jong-il-and-his-parka
- Doubtful News coverage: http://doubtfulnews.com/2012/11/unicorn-lair-in-north-korea-i-dont-even/
- Wiki description of the Korean “kirin” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qilin:
Kirin is the Korean pronunciation of the Qilin. It is described as a maned creature with the torso of a deer, an ox tail with the hoovesof a horse. The Qilin in Korean art were initially depicted as more deer-like, however over time they have transformed into more horse-like. They were one of the four divine creatures (사영수,四靈獸) along with the dragon, phoenix and turtle. Kirin were extensively used in Korean royal and buddhist arts.
Additional reading on the background of the Kaguro controversy:
Gries, Peter Hays. “The Kaguro Controversy, National Identity, and Sino-Korean Relations today.” East Asia 22.4 (2005): 3-17.
- The Independent: “Hi, deliver me from evil: Catholic Church sets up an exorcist hotline to deal with demand.” http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/hi-deliver-me-from-evil-catholic-church-sets-up-an-exorcist-hotline-to-deal-with-demand-8368988.html
- “BBC: Milan diocese creates exorcism hotline.” http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20561010
- What’s the Harm: Exorcisms: http://whatstheharm.net/exorcisms.html
- Vampire concerns reported in Serbia: http://doubtfulnews.com/2012/11/vampire-concerns-reported-in-serbia/
- Vampire Threat Terrorizes Serbian Village: http://abcnews.go.com/International/vampire-threat-terrorizes-serbian-village/story?id=17831327
- Lanyrd guide to Skepticism events in 2013: http://lanyrd.com/guides/skepticism/
The Virtual Skeptics is an independent production of Doubtful News, WhatsTheHarm.net, Skeptical Humanities, and Brian Gregory. Our logo was designed by Sara Mayhew at SaraMayhew.com. Our theme music is by Tremor and is used with permission.